First Day of Class. Part Two.



Welcome to our English class, 

I'm really very pleased to welcome you to my class. This year will be full of hard work and team work and words, lots of words. Often this class will seem more like a workshop than a typical class. All going well, we'll have a pretty creative year together: writing fiction, discussing literature, making posters and magazines, and working with this blog.

I’ve now been teaching English to native and non-native speakers for 20 years and, in that time, I’ve learned a great deal. Consequently, my goal is to help you learn, better, what I am in the process of learning and understanding myself!

To get us started, some basic rules:

Presence
This year, I will expect you to be present in class. Now, I don't just mean I want you to be present in your seat. I mean I want you to participate and to share your presence with the class. Sharing your ideas will be simple for many, for others (and that might include you) speaking in class will be the greatest challenge. However, as with all good challenges, (and trust me on this), the rewards will be rich.. Note, I do often assess 'class participation' as part of a trimester's grade.


Honesty
This year you're going to do a lot of writing. That's obvious.

This year, I want to read your writing, not something copied from the internet or written by a friend. That's also obvious.

Two rules:

1. Cite all consulted books or internet sites. It's easy. At the end of your paper, write:

                                      Works Cited

Name of Author. Name of Book. Page Number

Name of Webpage. Web Address

 
 







2. Do NOT copy and paste words from a webpage/book. However tempting it may seem. Always paraphrase (write in your words). Then, I want you to hand write a note to me in the margins to tell me that you've used the internet for inspiration.

If I find 'plagiarized work' then I will award you a 2/20 and expect a resubmission.

Resubmissions
All going well, you will always have the chance to resubmit a paper. What? Well, let's say you are disappointed because received a 10/20 for an essay. No problem... you can rework the paper and then resubmit it. If the new paper earns a 14/20 then that is the grade that will be recorded on Scolastance.

One rule
1. A resubmission = original paper with my comments and grade + new paper

Deadlines
Simple. You need to hand your work in on time, in class. Do NOT use my letterbox and NEVER submit papers by internet.  You will lose a point for every day your work is late.

FCE & CAE
Cambridge Advanced Exam and First Certificate Exam - really think about taking one of these exams this year. Sign up for an AP class, keep an eye on the door to 111 for information, and ask me if you have any questions!

Reading in English                                    
I have books that you can borrow, but also check out English book sellers in Strasbourg and the internet. For example: http://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/teen

Contacting me
You are welcome to email me whenever you like, just don't submit essays by email.

robyn.cnockaert@gmail.com
tel: 06 62 88 93 45
International Office: room 111




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saki "The Lumber Room"

Oscar Wilde's Comedy of Manners

2AGB Example FCE papers